Choosing a dentist in Lansing can prove to be a difficult task for a commoner like me because Dentistry has 9 different fields of expertise. Hence, the best way would be to start with a family dentist or a general dentist. A family or general dentist is licensed to diagnose dental issues and oral conditions, develop treatment plans and provide certain treatments. As and when required, he may refer you to a specialized dental practitioner.
Dentists provide treatment with help from dental hygienists and dental assistants. A dental hygienist performs dental cleanings while the dental assistant assists a dentist during a procedure, set up anesthesia, expose and develop radiographs or perform other general tasks. You may consider the following factors when considering a dentist:
1.Older the practice been in operation, better are the chances of its reliability. Location of dentist’s office also plays a vital role in the decision making. You may not want to visit a dentist whose practice is far away.
2. Check the extent of the dentist’s training and clinical experience in performing the specific procedure you may require. Ask about the types of professional dental societies the dentist participates in. Investment in continued learning is vital for any profession.
3. If the dentist does not perform certain procedures, ask about his referral process. You may be able to get an early appointment or some discount through his referral process.
4. Before committing yourself to a dentist, ask about the pros and cons of each procedural option being offered to you.
5. Check the type of emergency care offered. Anyone who provides after hours support and weekend support is willing to provide you services whenever needed.
6. Inquire about amenities offered and tools and techniques offered, e.g. - some practice offer local anesthesia surgery instead of total sedation as local anesthesia costs much lesser.
7. The practice should provide you dental costs prior to treatment. Since, a dental surgical operation may run into several thousands of dollars, it is important to know how much will they charge you. Also, you will be able to determine the individual coverage as your health insurance for sure will not cover everything.
In general, an established practice will provide you all possible information without you having to ask for and I am very lucky I found out about Trillium Dental. So, if you do not have a family dentist yet, it’s time you use the above selection criteria to find one.